May Meeting Recap
Huge thanks to Ill Mannered Brewing for hosting us this month, and for allowing us to be a featured part of their Columbus Craft Beer Week activities! They gave us an overview of their brewing and barrel-aging set ups, incredible samples, and a tour of the brewery. Definitely a top notch start to the week.
As this was the first meeting of the new SODZ year, and with the new board, President Eric Saas began with introductions of the board members and a quick rundown of the benefits of membership.
Current Board: President--Eric Saas
Vice President--Jason Wing
SODZ is the Columbus-area homebrew club. We meet on the 3rd Monday of every month, September through June. Members get to meet, interact with, and work with experienced brewers and learn from all kinds of homebrewers from unique backgrounds.Perks include volunteer opportunities at events in the area, our equipment lending program, and the monthly club contest, among many others.
Barley's 25th Homebrew Competition--Entries accepted May 17th-21st, 11 am to 5 pm, judging begins May 28th. No cost to enter.
Afternoon with the Brewer's @ Barley's-- June 5th from 1 to 5 pm. The winner of the competition will be announced.
Iron Kettle @ Hoster's--June 4th. Starts at 9 am but can arrive as early as 8 to set up. RSVP to Ryan Bell by May 29th to reserve a kit. Bring your own yeast.
June SODZ Mtg -- June 20th, 7 pm. Unofficial summer meeting at Restoration Brew Worx with the Delaware Ohio Homebrewers.
Homebrew Con in Pittsburgh, PA--June 23rd-25th. Multiple SODZ members will be in attendance.
Zachrich Hop Yard and Summer Picnic-- July 23rd. This will be SODZ's Summer Picnic for 2022. There will be freshly harvested hops + the opportunity brew-on-premise for club members. There will also be food and camping is encouraged.
April Meeting Recap
Thanks to Eastside for hosting and providing us with a rundown of the brewery, questions for the brewers, and for providing us with a tour of the brewery. Also wanted to thank SLAB for opening up for our members and providing us with some delicious food. This month's meeting covered the following items. Hope to see you all May 16th at Ill Mannered for a great event during Columbus Craft Beer Week!
Election of new Board
- President Eric Saas
- Vice President Jason Wing
- Secretary Jessica Chark
- Membership Mitch McGreal
- Treasury Stacy Groene
British Beer Fest at Olentangy BrewingThanks to organizer Scott Elliott, SODZ staffers and all judges/stewards who volunteered their time and helped run a very smooth event!
- Best of Show = Deborah and Marc Pritchard's English Porter
- Lucci Cup winner = Michael Noonan, "Stairway to Heaven", British Strong (also silver medal in its category)
- Lucci Cup HM = Greg Lindeman, "The Elusive British Kiwi", British Strong
Other SODZ medalists:
- Scott Elliott, gold medal, "Pripyat", Imperial Stout; gold medal, "Unpresidented", Scottish Export
- Chris Mullinax, silver medal, "Toucan Sam's Smiling Stout", Tropical stout
- Jim Sudduth, silver medal, Best Bitter
- Dan George, silver medal, "Fear of the Dark", Dark Mild
- Greg Lindeman, bronze medal, "Mackem Brown Ale", London Brown
- Nik Volkert, bronze medal, "Beamishish Stout", Irish Stout
- Big Brew Day on Saturday 5/7 -- Watch email, website and FB for more details.
- May SODZ Mtg -- Ill Mannered on 5/16. We will have a coordinated event with Columbus Craft Beer Week. This will also be the first official meeting with the new board.
- Afternoon with the Brewer's -- May 17th-21st Entries Accepted. Judging Begins May 28th, and Afternoon with the brewers will be on June 5th and it will be free to enter.
- June 4th -- Iron Kettle @ Hoster's
- June SODZ Mtg -- Unofficial summer meeting at Restoration
- June 23-25 -- Homebrew Con
- Zachrich Hop Yard -- July 23rd. This year's Summer Picnic will take place here and we will have some form of freshly harvested hops + brew-on-premise option for club members. There will be food and camping is an option.