Monday, December 14th 2015
2971 N High St
Columbus, OH 43202
There is no formal agenda. This meeting is a potluck where the club provides the main course and members provide a side or desert. Because the club is providing the main course this meeting is limited to those members in good standing and their +1. Please use the form below so that we know how many people are coming and can purchase the right quantity of food.
Lineage, is closed to the public and just open for the club event. Lineage is offering Happy Hour prices until 9pm.
- Everyone must be 21, no exceptions.
- Drinking and driving is a serious and deadly felony. Make appropriate travel arrangements.
Dirty Santa is a gift exchange where you bring a large format (750ml or 22oz bomber) bottle of commercial beer and put it inside a gift bag. One person starts by taking a bag off the table that’s not theirs and this continues until everyone has a gift. Basically it’s a white elephant gift exchange but instead of gifting junk you are giving delicious craft beer. The only requirements for this are that you buy a quality beer and bring it concealed in a gift bag.
Christmas/Winter Speciality (21B), Belgian Specialty (16E), Wood Aged (22C), Speciality (23, convince us it’s Christmas).
Congratulations to Keith McFarlane for winning Best of Show at Beer for Boobs this year with a Dark Belgian Strong. SODZ members took home fourteen medals, Congratulations to everyone that placed. For full results go here: http://beerforboobs.sodz.org/
SODZ raised $1100 with the raffle for Beer for Boobs cancer research, full amount raised is still to be determined. Thank you to everyone that helped judge and made this possible. Special thanks to Sara Hagerty, Midwest Regional Representative who came down from Chicago for this event and gave a presentation on yeast health. Also, special , special thanks to Jay and Lori Wince of Weasel Boy for hosting and doing their own fundraiser.
November Club Only Smoke and Roast results:
- Steve Henry, Russian Imperial Stout
- Gautam Bagchi, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter
- Brian Fowler, Uncle Vladimir’s Winter Warmer, RIS
Steve, jumped into the lead with this win for Brewer of the Year. There is currently a four way tie for second place.
Imperial Stout (13 F)
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.89 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.24 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.50 gal
Fermentation: My Aging Profile
Brewer: Steve Henry
Equipment: My Equipment
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.5 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
|8.0 oz||Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)||Grain||0||0.0 %|
|8.0 oz||Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)||Grain||0||0.0 %|
|16.0 oz||Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)||Grain||0||0.0 %|
|16.0 oz||Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)||Grain||0||0.0 %|
|16.0 oz||Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)||Grain||0||0.0 %|
|1 lbs 16.0 oz||Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)||Grain||0||0.0 %|
|14 lbs 16.0 oz||Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)||Grain||0||0.0 %|
|14 g||Fuggle [4.50 %] – Boil 5.0 min||Hop||0||0.0 IBUs|
|43 g||Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] – Boil 60.0 min||Hop||0||0.0 IBUs|
|0.70 ml||Vanilla (Mexican extract) (Bottling 0.0 mins)||Spice||0||–|
|2.00 oz||Dark Cocoa Powder (Mash 15.0 mins)||Spice||0||–|
|0.0 pkg||Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)||Yeast||0||–|
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.8 %
Bitterness: 55.6 IBUs
Est Color: 57.4 SRM
Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 9.6 %
Calories: 320.4 kcal/12oz
Sparge Water: 1.78 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE
Grain Temperature: 70.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20
|Name||Description||Step Temperature||Step Time|
|Mash In||Add 26.25 qt of water at 120.0 F||153.0 F||60 min|
Sparge: Fly sparge with 1.78 gal water at 168.0 F
Carbonation and Storage
Pressure/Weight: 12.54 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 45.0 F
Fermentation: My Aging Profile
Carbonation Used: Keg with 12.54 PSI
Age for: 7.00 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Secondary for 6 weeks with whiskey soaked oak cubes
Kegged then bottle aged for 6 months
Created with BeerSmith
There were 24 brewers in attendance at Gordon Biersch restaurant on 10/16/2015.
- Will called the meeting to order.
- New Members introduced themselves.
- Bill Bopp gave a quick update on the Beer for Boobs competition. We had 329 entries and raised $1100 from the raffle. Total amount raised to find breast cancer is still pending. Special thanks to Sara Hagerty, White Labs regional representative for giving a presentation on yeast health.
- Gautam gave membership update. We have 170 paid members.
- Richard sent out a request for articles for the website.
- Ryan talked about the upcoming Christmas party. See post
- Jeff Lewis, two-time winner of Pilsner Urquell homebrew contest gave an extensive talk on Lagers.
SODZ Monthly Meeting
Monday, November 16th 2015
401 N. Front Street
Columbus, OH 43215
- Officer Report
- Lager Beers – Jeff Lewis
Smoke and Roast.
Dark Lagers (Category 4), Porters (Category 12), Stouts (Category 13), Belgian Specialty (16E; Must include roasted malts to be qualified), Smoke Flavored Beers (Category 22A and 22B)
Winner will get a $25 gift card from a local homebrew store.
Learn to Homebrew Day was established by the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) in 1999 to encourage people to homebrew. The event involves homebrewers bringing their equipment to a location and brewing beer while people new to the hobby ask questions. More information on the event and the history of it can be found here.
If you plan on brewing please be patient when it comes time to chill your beer as this can be a bottleneck at events like this.
What we Provide
- Cold water for chilling.
- A place to put your spent grains.
- Good times.
What you Provide
You will need to bring all the equipment you need to have to brew this includes but is not limited too:
- Mash Tun (If you are an all grain brewer)
- Lauter Tun (If you are a all grain brewer)
- Primary fermentation vessel
- Star San or other sanitation chemical
- etc, etc, etc.
Saturday November 7th 2015
Start Time: 9am
Brewing Cut off Time: 10am (If you plan to brew start before 10am)
1291 W 3rd Ave
Columbus, OH 43212
Brewing will occur on the patio.
About 20 SODZ members made it out to Weasel Boy in Zanesville for our annual Oktoberfest party. Thank you to our gracious hosts Jay and Lori it was a great time had by all!
October’s Club Only category was Fall beers.
…and the winners are:
- Gautam Bagchi, Bock, OktoboBock
- Jason Wing, Mild
- Richard Sheppard, Oktoberfest
There is now a 3 way tie for 1st overall with Steve Henry, Jason Wing and Gautam Bagchi. Here is Gautam’s award winning Bock recipe:
(5 gallons / 19 L, all-grain) OG=1.068 FG=1.014 IBU=28 SRM=16 ABV=6.6%
6.5 lbs. (2.9 kg) 2-row malt
6.5 lbs. (2.9 kg) Munich malt
0.75 lbs. (340 g) crystal malt 90 °L
0.1 lbs. (45 g) chocolate malt
6.75 AAU Hallertauer hops (1.5 oz./43 g at 4.5% alpha acids) (60 min.)
Wyeast 2206 (Bavarian Lager) or White Labs WLP820 (Oktoberfest/Märzen Lager) yeast in a 2-Liter starter.
Step by Step:
Dough in at 118 °F (48 °C) and rest for 10 minutes. Rise to 131 °F (55 °C) for 20 minutes, 149 °F (65 °C) for 30 minutes and 158 °F (70 °C) for 20 minutes. This could be done with a single infusion mash at 149 °F (65 °C) just as well. Sparage for 45 minutes collecting 6.5 gallons (25 L). Boil for 90 minutes adding the hops after the first 30 minutes. Expect 5 gallons (19 L) at the end of boil. Cool to 55 °F (13 °C), transfer to your fermenter, aerate and pitch yeast starter. Ferment 10–14 days at 55 °F (13 °C) then let the temperature increase to 60 °F (16 °C) for three days. Rack it off of the yeast into a keg to finish lagering for 4-6 weeks.
SODZ’s October meeting was held at Zauber Brewing on October 19th. 37 Brewers were in attendance.
- Meeting was called to order by President Will.
- Treasurer, Dave said we have money. A little more than usual do to the shirt orders.
- Secretary, Richard needs articles for the website. Email to email@example.com
- Vice President, Ryan gave updates on upcoming events including a yet to be determined location for learn to homebrew day on Nov 7th.
- Membership director, Gautam was accepting new members, shirt orders are closed and order placed soon. Next club only contest is Smoke & Roast.
- There was talk of doing a homebrew beer soap project. If that person can email me firstname.lastname@example.org we can get details on our website.
- Bill Bopp talked about the upcoming Beer for Boobs. We are on track to 300 entries and need judges, stewards and entries. Sign up at http://beerforboobs.sodz.org/ Also, we need help unpacking bottles for the contest 10/31 at Weasel Boy. Email Bill at email@example.com to attend.
- Geoff Towne owner of Zauber Brewing gave a talk on the Oktoberfest beer style as well as some history about the festival. Geoff, also spoke of his own experience from going to brewing school at UC Davis, to working at Great Lakes and Sam Adams to starting his own brewery and subsequent expansion.
- Ryan Torres gave a talk on Sour Beers. Ryan is the new head brewer of Brew Brothers at Scioto Downs. Ryan and his brewing partner Alex sent many sour beers to 2nd round of National Homebrew contest last year.
Sunday, October 25, 2015
Let me repeat this is on Sunday October 25th. Yes, there is two events in October.
The 25th! SUNDAY!
Weaselboy Brewing Company
126 Muskingum Ave,
Zanesville, OH 43701
This will be a potluck where the club provides bratwurst and you will provide a side or dessert. Note if you plan on coming please use the form below to signup so that we know how much food to buy.
- Eat Brats
- Drink Beer