We are now accepting entries for the fifth annual Beer for Boobs competition, hosted by the Scioto, Olentangy and Darby Zymurgists (SODZ).
The entry deadline is October 31st and the competition will be held on Saturday November 14th at Weasel Boy Brewing Company in Zanesville, OH. Register your entries on our web site: http://beerforboobs.sodz.org/
Weasel Boy will select a beer from the Best of Show table to brew for the 2016 GABF Pro-Am competition. Lets try and see if SODZ can win this honor this time!
As always, all profits raised from this competition are donated to Beer for Boobs. See www.beerforboobs.org for more information.
We will also need plenty of judges and stewards. If you are able to help, please register as a judge or steward on the same web site: http://beerforboobs.sodz.org/
Please let me know if you have any questions, and I hope to see you in November-
The end of summer is close at hand and you know what that means…It’s Brewing Season! SODZ will restart our monthly meetings in September, look for the meeting notice soon. In the meantime, here are some quick updates:
Lots of SODZers making headlines in the pro-brewing world. Come out and support your homebrewing brother’s living the dream!
- SODZ members Tom Ayers, Greg Dannemiller, Brian Mathias and Ryan Romer-Jordan are opening up Ill Mannered Brewing Co and the Grand Opening is this Friday September 4th at 5pm. Check out the information here: http://www.illmanneredbeer.com/ I can’t wait to try out their Oatmeal Coffee Stout!
- Former SODZ president Vic Gonzales has thrown off his shackles and is now the “Official” full time brewer at Pigskin. They are throwing a coming out party for him, stop by try his new Double IPA.
- Current Vice President and Barley’s Assistant Brewer Ryan Torres has accepted a position at Scioto Downs Casino’s new brewery Brew Brothers Ryan is currently looking for an assistant of his own and is looking to hire quickly. Details and application here. The new brewery is scheduled to open in the Octoberish time frame.
- Dick Stevens, owner of Elevator Brewing, has an opening for a cellarman at the brewery. This is an entry level position, and involves cleaning kegs, operating the coolers, moving and storing kegs, and other general work in the brewery. If any of you members have ever thought about getting involved with working at a brewery, this is the usual starting point. This position is flexible, but could be a full time position. If you have an interest, please contact Don directly at croucher43 at yahoo dot com
Lots of upcoming local and regional homebrew competitions. Please, consider supporting other clubs either by entering, judging and/or stewarding. They support us and make our competitions possible.
- September 12th, registration open now. Dayton homebrew club DRAFT is hosting Brewfest competition open to all new BJCP 2015 styles. They are still in need of stewards and judges. Register here: http://brewfest.daytondraft.org/
- October 10th, registration open now. Cincinnati Malt Infusers is hosting the 20th Annual Oktoberbest homebrew competition. Register here: http://maltinfusers.brewcompetition.com/
- October 10th, registration open now. Pittsburgh’s TRASH is hosting TRASH XXV Homebrew Competition. Register here: http://trashcompetition.org/
- November 7th, Cleveland’s SNOBS is hosting Son of Brewzilla. Unfortunately, registration is closed due to hitting the max number of entries. You can still register to judge or steward here: http://beersnobs.org/cbwcomp/
- November 14th, registration tbd. SODZ (hey that’s us!) will be hosting Beer for Boobs homebrew competition and fundraiser at Weasel Boy in Zanesville. Details coming soon.
- December 5th, registration open now. Hop Yard 62 in Grove City is hosting an Oatmeal Stout competition. More info here.
Forty-eight SODZ members went on the brewery tour and all I can say is “WOW”. The sheer size of this place is awe-inspiring. Everyone was very impressed not only with the scale but the attention to quality and detail. The mashtun’s are bigger than my house and they have six of them! Like they said, they do the exact same thing us homebrewers do, just on a bigger scale. If you ever get a chance to go on this tour jump on it. A big thanks to Tyler Hunter and his crew for taking time out of their busy day, giving us the tour and being gracious hosts.
For more pictures: https://www.flickr.com/gp/43204976@N00/5339rN
Twenty-five SODZ members made it out to the Glass Rooster in Sunbury, OH. We smoked four pork shoulders and 4 kegs of beer on tap and about 10 or so growlers. Thanks to everyone that shared their beer and food. Special thanks to Will and Rachel Shiel for setting this up and extra special thanks to Rachel’s aunt Susie for allowing us to use their property and facilities.
Seven brewers participated in the Iron Kettle and brewed with this year’s secret ingredient. Corn Flakes!
The winners of the judging portion of the contest are:
- Steve Henry – Pre-Prohibition Lager
- Ryan Torres – Light Sour Ale
- Stacy Groene – Cream Ale
!!!DEADLINE, LAST CALL, 24 HRS!!!
We have a lot of people signed up, we will try to make room for everyone but may not be able to. We will try though, so if you are interested but haven’t signed up yet do it NOW. I am cutting off the sign-up and sending in the list tomorrow at 9pm.
I will contact everyone to update them, after I hear back from AB.
See you this weekend at the picnic! (DON’T FORGET TO SIGN UP FOR THE PICNIC!!!)
If you’ve found your way here then you know that you are part of an elite set of volunteers, a crack team best equipped to help people navigate the waters of craft beer.
Friday August 14th
Saturday August 15th
There will be VIP sessions each night, beginning at 6:30 PM, with the regular session beginning at 7:30 PM, and running until 11:00 PM. Expect to show up at least an hour early to make sure you get your assignments.
More will be put here when I have more specifics but I’m assuming this will be the same deal that’s happened years before. As a volunteer you will get a t-shirt, some food, money for parking, beer and quite a bit of fun.
In previous years we’ve had some issues where volunteers have signed up and then not shown up. If you choose to sign up please treat this as a commitment. If you can’t volunteer for some reason please notify the volunteer organizer Don Croucher
Who is Invited?
Active (current on dues) SODZ members get first priority. If there is enough space, spouses will also be welcome. We will notify you if this is the case.
There are only about 30 spots available on the tour, so sign up fast!
Monday, July 20, 7pm
Anheuser-Busch, Columbus Brewery
What to Bring
Wear long pants (preferably jeans) and closed toed shoes (no sandals or high heels). Do not wear jewelry.
AB will provide safety glasses, ear plugs and paper hats. If you do not want to wear a paper hat, bring your own hat or foil cap.
Come help SODZ member Justin Molenaur celebrate winning the Elevator Homebrew contest by drinking some of his tasty beer: North of Lane Pale Ale.
Monday, July 2nd 2015 5pm
161 N High St
Columbus, OH 43215
The June meeting at Restoration Brew Worx in Delaware, OH was well attended with about 40 some SODZ and DOH members. This was the first of hopefully many more joint club meetings with the Delaware club.
The newly opened Restoration Brew Worx is gorgeous and well worth the trip up. They had multiple Belgians, IPAs and a few German and English styles on tap. Frank Barickman gave the most in-depth tour of the brewhouse I have ever heard.
Bill Bopp is gauging interest in a BJCP Mead exam coming up soon and maybe another BJCP Beer exam next year. Contact Bill for more details.
Don’t forget to sign up for the SODZ picnic!